• Discounts and special offers
  • Subscriber-only articles and interviews
  • Breaking news and trending topics

Already a subscriber?

By signing up, you accept Moneywise's Terms of Use, Subscription Agreement, and Privacy Policy.

Not interested ?

The Short Version

  • A 1099-B Form is sent to you by your brokerage firm when you sell securities in a given tax year
  • The information in a 1099-B Form tells you if you’ve had gains or losses during the year and whether or not you’ll owe taxes on your sales
  • Many brokerage firms issue a consolidated 1099 Form rather than individual ones, like 1099-B

1099-B due date: February 15, 2024

The deadline for your broker to send Form 1099-B to you is February 15, 2024. This is a slight change from previous years when financial institutions were required to postmark it to you by January 31.

Despite this change, you’re still on the hook to file your taxes on time. The deadline for this coming tax season is April 15, 2024.

Who should receive a 1099-B?

Anyone who sells stocks, options, commodities, or other securities during the tax year can expect to receive a 1099-B form from their broker. This includes things like short sales or certain types of contracts like options and foreign currency.

You can expect to receive a 1099-B if you made trades throughout the year because the government will want to assess the right amount of taxes from you. A 1099-B form lets the IRS know whether or not you made a gain (or had a loss) during the year. If you had a gain you’ll be expected to pay taxes on your earnings. If you had some losses, however, the IRS needs a record of it to make sure you are claiming the correct deductions.

Related: Tax loss harvesting – Capitalize on your investment losses

Do crypto exchanges send 1099-Bs?

If your exchange doesn't issue a 1099-B form, you won't receive one. Starting in the 2025 tax year, capital gains and losses from crypto will be reported on Form 1099-DA. Brokerage firms and crypto exchanges will need to adhere to these reporting requirements.

Until then, exchanges still have to report information like capital gains and losses just like other securities. This information is provided to their customers and the IRS. At the moment they aren’t required to report transactions via Form 1099-B. They can report this information via other 1099 forms such as 1099-MISC and 1099-K.

Some platforms that offer stocks, in addition to crypto, may send a 1099-B regardless. They are already required to use that form to report stock trades so adding crypto assets into their reporting process. Firms that facilitate both crypto and regular stock trades would have the information readily available to produce a 1099-B, regardless of a formal reporting requirement. Exchanges without an existing reporting obligation, such as Coinbase, may opt to send a different 1099 form instead of Form 1099-B.

In addition to selling crypto, crypto holders can also be taxed on earnings generated from activities like staking or mining. These types of earnings or any type of payment received in crypto have to be reported on your taxes as income. Form 1040 Schedule D and Form 8949 are used to report crypto gains and losses while Schedule C is used to report income paid in crypto.

Just like stocks, crypto is taxed once it is sold. If you purchased crypto during the year and hold it in a wallet or as part of your investment portfolio you won’t have to pay taxes on it (and shouldn’t receive a 1099 form from your exchange).

How to report your 1099-B to the IRS

The information found on Form 1099-B should be reported on Form 1040 Schedule D and Form 8949 as capital gains (or losses). Box 2 of that form is where you’ll indicate whether the gain/loss was short-term or long-term. If you owned an asset for less than a year expect to pay short-term capital gains taxes. For assets held for a year or more, you’ll pay long-term capital gains taxes.

It’s become common practice for brokerages to submit a consolidated 1099 Form rather than individual forms. A consolidated form can include the information reported on forms like 1099-B, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV. All of this is used on Form 1040 and Form 8949.

Most tax prep software like TurboTax and H&R Block include Form 1099-B in their filing process. They also work with a number of financial institutions to enable direct integration between your brokerage firm and the tax prep software. TurboTax, for example, provides a list of its partners you can check out here.

When you indicate you need to include stock trades or income derived from securities on your taxes, the tax prep software you use will guide you through how to correctly enter the information provided to you by your brokerage firm.

Further reading: Long-term vs short-term capital gains tax

The takeaway

If you sold stock, crypto, or other assets this year you should expect to receive a 1099 form from your brokerage or exchange. The form might be a 1099-B or a consolidated form grouping information from several different 1099 forms together.

This information is important for tax time because it will tell the IRS whether or not you owe them money on your sales and if so how much. The good news is you won’t have to report capital gains – and shouldn’t expect to receive a 1099-B – unless you sold assets during the year.

If you earned income from your assets a 1099 Form will likely be heading your way. Expect to receive this information no later than February 15, 2024. If you haven’t received a form by then, follow up with your brokerage.

About the Author

Amanda Claypool

Amanda Claypool

Freelance Contributor

Amanda Claypool is a writer, entrepreneur, and digital nomad. She writes about wealth, blockchain technology, consumerism, and the future of work

What to Read Next


The content provided on Moneywise is information to help users become financially literate. It is neither tax nor legal advice, is not intended to be relied upon as a forecast, research or investment advice, and is not a recommendation, offer or solicitation to buy or sell any securities or to adopt any investment strategy. Tax, investment and all other decisions should be made, as appropriate, only with guidance from a qualified professional. We make no representation or warranty of any kind, either express or implied, with respect to the data provided, the timeliness thereof, the results to be obtained by the use thereof or any other matter.