10. Telephone and wireless scams
Hello? You've been conned! These can include mystery charges that show up on your phone bill, text-message fraud or even scammy apps that steal your money.
- Total losses: $16.9 million
- Typical loss: $223
- Reports: 149,600
- How victims were usually contacted: Text message
9. Foreclosure and debt relief rip-offs
Scammers have no qualms about kicking people when they're down. If you're facing foreclosure or dealing with a mountain of debt, they'll offer to save your house or get you a better deal from your lender. For a big fat fee, of course.
- Total losses: $17.2 million
- Typical loss: $1,200
- Reports: 9,000
- How victims were usually contacted: Phone call